Saturday, June 19, 2010

Happy Father's Day!

"To her the name of father was another name for love." Fanny Fern

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there! Father's Day began in the early 20th century to complement Mother's Day, and honor fathers in their roles as male parents. The first observance is believed to have been held on June 19, 1910 through the efforts of Sonora Smart Dodd. Dodd lost her mother as a teenager, leaving her father to raise six children. After Mother's Day was established in 1909, Dodd believed fathers' should be honored as well. For more information on Father's Day see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father.

I'm fortunate to still have my dad, plus lots of great memories. My dad didn't cook often, but he made the best charcoal grilled ribs I've ever tasted! Memorial Day and Fourth of July, Dad would fire up the grill and cook for family gatherings in our backyard.

Grilling is considered manly, but my dad had another specialty. There were those times, perhaps once or twice a year, when he disappear downstairs while the rest of us watched TV before going to bed. Wondering where he was, my sister and I would set off to find him. There in the kitchen, we'd see him, fork in hand, mixing batter in a metal mixing bowl. Close by was a cast iron skillet, filled with melted butter.

We'd be so excited because soon, the house would smell like pineapples and brown sugar. My dad made the world's best pineapple upside down cake! And eating it warm from the oven a was a real treat.

My mom is a great cook, but the one time she made pineapple upside down cake, it wasn't nearly as good, or beautiful as my dad's. Sorry Mom! Happy Father's Day, Dad!!

What's a special memory about your dad?

I hadn't planned on sharing a recipe, but since I love food, I can't resist! I don't have my dad's pineapple upside down recipe. All I know is that it contained lots of butter! Here's an alternative that's a little healthier. Make it for your dad!

SkinnyPineapple Upside Down Cake

1 cup brown sugar
2 T Karo corn syrup
20 oz. can pineapple rings in juice (reserve juice)
3/4 cup maraschino cherries
1 1/2 cups flour
1 t baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 brown sugar
1 whole eggs, 2 egg whites
1 T oil
1/2 cup applesauce
2 t vanilla
1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Combine 1 cup brown sugar and corn syrup in prepared pan. Mix until it covers bottom of baking dish. Drain pineapple slices, reserving juice. Arrange pineapples and cherries on top of corn syrup mixture.

In a large bowl combine sugar, 1/4 brown sugar, eggs, applesauce, oil, vanilla and milk. Add flour and baking powder. Mix well. Stir in reserved juice. Mix well.

Pour batter over pineapple slices and bake in preheated oven 35 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool cake 10 minutes. Invert over serving platter. Serves 16.

Follow me on Twitter: @maria_mckenzie

No comments: