Monday, February 11, 2013

The Offensiveness of Historical Accuracy

I haven't seen Quentin Tarantino's latest film, Django Unchained, but it's high on my list! I can't take Tarantino's  trademarks of blood, violence and cursing, but I do enjoy his brand of dark humor and his sociological and psychological take on the human condition.

Kill Bill was the last Tarantino film I saw.  The reviews said the violence was akin to that found in Anime cartoons. Okay, I thought, is that like what you might see in Speed Racer or Pokemon?  As I watched limbs being severed and blood spewing forth, I soon discovered that I didn't really know what Anime was.

I will put aside my aversion to killing and bad language to see Tarantino's latest.  Django Unchained takes place during a horrific era in American history.  Slavery days are a painful scab in our nation's past, but from what I've read, Tarantino has used historical accuracy to show the nasty underside of a time too many of us would rather keep swept under the rug.

I read an article yesterday that outlined  the "Ten Most Offensive Moments in Django Unchained." Well, those moments might offend today, but unfortunately, events like those characterized really did happen.  As mentioned earlier, I haven't seen the film, but I am very interested in the time period. During research on my novel, Escape: Book One of the Unchained Trilogy, I read many heart-wrenching and appalling slave narratives.  So I applaud Mr. Tarantino for not holding back, and telling it like it was.

Have you seen Django Unchained?

Thanks for visiting and have a great day!

6 comments:

Old Kitty said...

I'm not a Tarantino fan but I do like the actors in this particular film so I may wait for it to come out on dvd! The thing for me with Tarantino's films is that much as I like the story, plot, pacing and action sequences, I don't like any of his characters! LOL! I may change my mind with Django as I think it's finally a film about a mythical hero who is a black man and one who does what he does for true love. I hope so anyway! Take care
x

Golden Eagle said...

I haven't seen the movie. I didn't actually know what it was about until I read your post--I'd assumed it was something entirely different from a historically-based film!

William Kendall said...

I've seen some of Tarentino's films and his interviews, and enough to not be a fan of the man at all. He strikes me as profoundly self absorbed. I'm not sure I want to sit through anything else done by him again.

mooderino said...

I enjoyed this movie, but I don't think the historical accuracy makes much of a difference. After all, everything that might be deemed offensive that happens in this movie also occur in most of his other movies, no matter when they're set.

mood

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I haven't seen Django, but I will say that one thing I love about your books is that they show history, even the parts that aren't pretty.

Intangible Hearts said...

All this time I thought this was a movie about a lizard. Oh wait that's Rango?