Monday, July 14, 2014

African Chicken Stew

"He who pursues a chicken often falls, but the chicken has to run." African proverb, Amaka

This recipe is a delicious chicken stew that can be served alone, over couscous, or over rice.  It's hot and hearty featuring a fall favorite--sweet potatoes! 

Growing up, I always ate sweet potatoes as a pudding or souffle. But as an adult, I've discovered lots of recipes that use them in savory dishes, which my husband prefers over the sweet ones.

This stew is easy to prepare, but unfortunately involves a little cutting and chopping (so just pretend it's therapeutic).  I've adapted my version from one I originally found in Woman's Day Magazine. Hope you enjoy!

African Chicken Stew

3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
2 t onion powder
3 sweet potatoes
3 t garlic powder
1 1/2 t chili powder
20 ounces canned diced tomatoes
12 ounces frozen peas
1 1/2 T lemon juice
1/2 cup peanut butter

Season chicken with salt pepper and onion powder. Coat a large pot with cooking spray. place over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook about three minutes until browned.

Peel potatoes and cut in bite sized pieces; set aside. Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder and chili powder. Cook about 30 seconds or until fragrant.

Add potatoes and tomatoes. Bring chicken to the top. Bring pot to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer about thirty minutes, or until potatoes are soft and chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with peas, cover and cook 10 minutes longer. Add peanut butter and lemon juice. Stir until blended and hot. Makes 4 servings.

How do you like your sweet potatoes, sweet or savory?

Thanks for visiting and have a great week!

Reprinted from November 5, 2010.

5 comments:

William Kendall said...

It sounds tasty!

Norma said...

It does!

Maria McKenzie said...

@William and Norma: It's one of my favorite dishes!

Intangible Hearts said...

This sounds delicious and I have to agree that sweet potatoes taste wonderful when prepared in a savory manner. I like to bake them in their skins/sliced in half or more pieces but first I mix olive oil, cayenne pepper and brown sugar in the pan. Covered with a heavy lid at 400 degrees, they are ready in a jiffy.

Maria McKenzie said...

@Eve: That sounds too yummy!! I'll have to try that.

My mom was helping me make Thanksgiving dinner one year and she accidently sprinkled cayenne pepper into the sweet potatoes thinking it was cinnamon. She realized her mistake and removed what she could, but those potatoes were awesome and had a nice kick!