Monday, August 4, 2014

Planner or Pantster?

If you're a writer, are you a planner or a pantster?

If you're not familiar with those terms, here's a simple explanation: Planners plan their stories to the last detail and pantsters wing it, flying by the seat of their pants.

Some planners write elaborate outlines, character biographies, spread sheets, etc. Needless to say, they are detail oriented and highly organized people.

Some pantsters will have an idea for a story, and perhaps they'll know how it begins and how it ends.  However, getting from start to finish remains a mystery until the pantster starts writing.

I lack the organization and detail gene (if there is such a thing), so I'm more of a pantster. I do write a very brief outline--no more than a page--then go from there.

What about you? Plotter or pantster?

Thanks for visiting and have a great week!

4 comments:

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I'm a planner. For a novel, no outline (or not enough of one) = invitation to writers block. OTOH I have written short fiction without one so maybe I'm a weird combo!

Maria McKenzie said...

Sounds like a combo to me!

William Kendall said...

I'm definitely a planner.

Maria McKenzie said...

I had a feeling you were! I can see the detail of your work;).