Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Goodbye, Pete Rose!

I've been dealing with some life issues as of late and the blog has fallen by the wayside. I'm back today to reminisce about the late Pete Rose, also known by the nickname Charlie Hustle, who died on September 30. I'm a Cincinnati native and as a little girl, I had a crush on him. Don't ask me why, I just did. Back in the day, The Big Red Machine was a force to be reckoned with. I am not a sports fan by any means, but I loved watching the Reds play so we could see Pete slide onto the bases!

I must digress for a moment and do a little shameless self-promotion. I did attend a few baseball games at Cincinnati's River Front Stadium back in the 1970s with my parents, and beer was a big seller at those games. Cincinnati has a strong German heritage and the city is known for its beers. With that said, please be sure to check out my new mystery Growler to Grave (where Cincinnati's beer brewers play a role), as well as its prequal Cad to Cadaver

So back to Pete Rose. How did he become known as Charlie Hustle? Here's the answer from The Cincinnati Enquirer:

According to the 2024 book "Charlie Hustle: The Rise and Fall of Pete Rose, and the Last Glory Days of Baseball" by Keith O'Brien, one of the first links to Rose and "hustle" in print came from Earl Lawson, a sports reporter for the Cincinnati Post, who in 1963 praised Rose's no-holds-barred playing style by writing, "Hustle is young Pete's middle name."

But the christening of Rose as "Charlie Hustle" was anything but complimentary. In a spring training game against New York that year, Rose bunted for a single, much to the amusement of Yankee's great Mickey Mantle and teammate Whitey Ford. From O'Brien's book:

Mantle and Ford ... intended the name to be an insult. They were laughing at Pete. They thought he was working too hard. But Pete refused to see it that way. He knew that hustling was the secret to his success, the key to every room he would ever enter. He happily wore the name. “The Mick gave it to me,” Pete bragged that summer. “He and Ford,” he crowed. “Mantle said to me, ‘Hey, Charlie Hustle.’ ” Pete told the press it was a compliment.

There's your trivia for the day! Any of this new to you? For the complete article click here.

Thanks for visiting and have a great week!

No comments: