Saturday, August 28, 2010

Braised Pork in Caramalized Soy Sauce

"I believe Malaysian is the most creative cuisine in Asia.  It will keep you coming back for more."  Christina Arokiasamy.

My husband loves great food--and a clean house.  Luckily for him, he married a woman who enjoys food just as much as he does.  I don't mind cooking, it's just that the everyday thing is a drag.  Needless to say, leftovers are a staple in our household.

Unfortunately, I hate house work.  I know there are some who love it, but I'm not sure what planet they come from.  A Facebook friend listed as one of her hobbies housework.  "Yes, I love to clean because I love a clean house!"  Yeah, right. I pity my husband that he didn't marry a woman like that.  Now, don't get me wrong. I love a clean house, too, but I just wish I didn't have to do it myself.

For the past couple of days, I've been MIA from writing and social networking because of cleaning, catching up on laundry, and ironing.  It was my husband's birthday yesterday, so a clean house was part of his present, as was this delicious Malaysian recipe (plus his favorite blueberry crisp for dessert).

I found this wonderful dish in Today's Diet & Nutrition.  It's  by Christina Arokiasamy, author of The Spice Merchant's DaughterRecipes and Simple Spice Blends for the American Kitchen.  Although relatively easy to prepare, some cutting and chopping is involved.  But it's worth every minute, because the taste will absolutely blow your mind--it's that good!  An Indian friend even said it's one of the best meals he's ever tasted.  Give it a try and tell me what you think!

Braised Pork in Caramelized Soy Sauce

3 T vegetable oil
one 2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thick strips
5 garlic cloves chopped
1 fresh red chili, seeded and thinly sliced
2 sprigs fresh curry leaves
one 2 inch cinnamon stick
2 star anise
1 large red onion, cut into thick rings
2 ripe tomatoes, quartered
1 1/2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 T soy sauce
3 T sweet soy sauce
1/4 t freshly ground white pepper
Pinch of salt

Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.  When the oil is hot, add the ginger, garlic, chili, curry leaves, cinnamon, star anise, and half the onion.  Cook, stirring until the ginger and onion rings turn light brown, and smell fragrant; about 7 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, and cook, stirring for 5 minutes.  Add the pork and mix well to coat with spices.  Turn the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 35 minutes, until the pork is very soft.

Add the remaining onion, soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, pepper and salt.  Raise the heat to medium, mix well, and cook for 5 minutes, until the sauces have thickened.  Remove from heat and serve hot over Jasmine rice.  Serves 4.

Tweet me @maria_mckenzie.  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: