Friday, July 23, 2010

Fresh Apple Crisp

"You cannot sell a blemished apple in the supermarket, but you can sell a tasteless one, provided it is shiny, smooth, even, uniform and bright." Elspeth Huxley

Last week I wrote about some funky looking apples in my post, "Life Can be Stranger Than Fiction" (July 16). The weird looking fruit actually came directly from a tree. Although not pretty enough for the grocery store, and too gruesome looking to sink your teeth into, these apples made a delicious fresh fruit crisp.

I know nothing about the different varieties of apples (other than their varying shades), but these were green and very tart. I assume they'd be considered baking apples. When I peeled them, the knife easily pierced the skin, and the flesh had a velvety softness to it that I'd never experienced from a store bought apple. Once I got the ugly peels off, I tasted one, and it was absolutely scrumptious, despite the tartness!

Needless to say, the apple crisp didn't last long. Here's my recipe--low fat, of course. Serve warm with fat free vanilla ice cream on top. Enjoy!

Fresh Apple Crisp

1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 t cinnamon
2 T low fat margarine
6 medium apples
2 T granulated sugar

Spray a 10x6x2 inch baking dish with cooking spray, and set aside. Combine oats, brown sugar flour, cinnamon and a dash of salt. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside. Peel, core and slice apples. Place in baking dish. Sprinkle with granulated sugar. Sprinkle crumb mixture over all. Bake in 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes. Serves 6.

Are you lucky enough to have an apple tree in your backyard?

Become a follower here by clicking on the Follow button to your left. And Follow me on Twitter at: maria_mckenzie. Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maria,

We have an apple tree with 'yucky' apples on it that make wonderful pies. I'll give your apple crisp recipe a try!