Monday, July 19, 2010

What Inspires You?

"You see things; and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?'" George Bernard Shaw

What inspires you in your writing? A spark of imagination, a snatch of conversation, a true story or a real life experience?

I always find it fun to discover what exactly inspires a writer to conceive a story.

Stephenie Meyer had a dream that inspired her to write Twilight. Margaret Mitchell modeled Pansie O'Hara (who later became Scarlett O'Hara) in Gone with the Wind after herself, and her experience of falling in love with the wrong man.

Those Who Save Us, by Jenna Blum, is fiction based on real stories of Germans living in the United Sates during World War II. The Reader. by German judge and law professor Bernard Schlink, focuses on the generation of children born to parents who lived through World War II in Germany. During the 1960's, as adults, this generation (including Schlink) questioned what their parents knew and didn't know, and asks how they could have let the atrocities occur. Schlink's moving story focuses on a young teenage boy who has an affair with an older woman. Only years later, as a law student, does he learn of her direct involvement with the concentration camps.

One of my favorite movies is Finding Neverland. In it, the audience sees how Scottish dramatist J.M. Barrie, through imagination and his real experience of befriending three boys (and their evil Captain Hook like grandmother) came up with the idea for the stage play Peter Pan. "With a wee bit of imagination," Barrie (portrayed by Johnny Depp on film) says, "anything is possible."

Right now a short story is running through my head. I heard Oprah Winfrey say at the conclusion of her show one day, "Our cameras will be at Celine Dion's performance with today's guest at Madison Square Garden next month, but I won't be able to attend." "Hmm," I thought, "what if she had a clone?"

As writers, we allow our imaginations to grow wild with just a seed of inspiration. What fun!

What inspires you?

Become a follower here with Google Friend Connect; see to your left. And follow me on Twitter: @maria_mckenzie. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Jillian said...

I take my inspiration from both real life and from tv, commercials, etc. Wrote a murder mystery short story that sold in one day entitled "Pimps and Hos" - and the idea came from the sign on a bar I drive by on my way home from work every day - they were having a costume party with that theme on a Friday night. For my current WIP, I'm mining the feelings of my first broken heart-high school sweetheart. You're right, sometimes it's the smallest things and other times, it's the bi stuff.

Great post today. Thought provoking.

Regina said...

I am inspired by dreams and music. Music can be uplifting, emotional or dark and sometimes I need those feelings when I write.