Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Prayer: An Unconventional Way to Get an Agent

"Dear Lord, never let me be afraid to pray for the impossible." Dorothy Schellenberger

Sometimes it seems like getting an agent is one of those impossible things! It's always nice to know when someone does get "the call." That gives all of us unpublished writers hope!

I saw just the other day that a Facebook friend was signed by an agent and now has five requests for full manuscripts. Awesome news! Curious, I sent her a message. I'd heard on a webinar that you should send out at least 50 submissions, and I wondered if she'd had to do that, or been lucky enough to attract interest before sending out so many. She replied that she'd been submitting for almost a year. She'd lost count, but guessed over 100 times!

At a writers meeting last weekend, two ladies working as a team gave a testimony about their unconditional search for an agent. I'm not sure how many submissions they'd made before changing their method, but the new approach paid off!

They decided to pray and ask that God lead them to the right agent. After praying for a while, both were in agreement that one particular agent would represent them. They sent off their submission to her and then began the long wait. Several weeks passed, but when they received a reply, it was a rejection. The writers were crushed, after being so sure that this agent was the one God had chosen for them.

After about a week's time, they got a phone call from the agent. "I don't know what was wrong with me to reject your work," she said. "I just can't seem to get your story out of my mind and I'd like to represent you. I want to work with you to make your story a success."

Talk about amazing! And talk about the power of prayer!

What are some miracles happening in your life?

Follow me on Twitter: @maria_mckenzie.

2 comments:

Deliberated said...

I was thinking about this...100 copies. That's a lot of ink/printing paper. I'd better start saving up!

Anonymous said...

I, too, believe in the power of prayer! Thanks for posting this.