Friday, December 31, 2010

Recipe Friday: Chinese Pepper Steak

"To the ruler, people are heaven; to the people, food is heaven." Chinese Proverb

Happy New Year! Anybody doing take out Chinese to ring in the New Year?

Chinese food is one of my favorite cuisines! Here's a healthy and easy recipe for your crock pot from Mabel Hoffman's Crockery Cookery. Hope you enjoy it!

Chinese Pepper Steak

1 1/2 pounds round steak
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 T hoison sauce
1 t sugar
1 tomato, chopped
2 red or green bell peppers, cut in strips
3 T cornstarch
3 T water
1 cup fresh bean sprouts
4 green onions, finely chopped
Cooked rice
                              

Trim fat from steak; slice into thin strips.  Combine steak, garlic, salt, pepper, soy sauce, hoison sauce and sugar in slow cooker.  Cover and cook on LOW about 4 hours.  Turn control to HIGH.  Add tomato and bell peppers.  Dissolve cornstarch in water in a small bowl; stir into streak mixture.  Cover and cook on HIGH 15-20 minutes or until thickened. Stir in bean sprouts. Sprinkle with onions. Serve with rice.  Makes 4-6 servings.

How are you celebrating the New Year tonight?  Several years ago, my friend Sheri told me that she and her family spend a quiet evening at home (like mine) and she makes an array hors d'oeuvres for dinner. I loved that idea, and I've been doing it ever since!

Tonight we'll have Swedish meatballs, shrimp, hummus and raw veggies.  I also got a frozen pizza for the kids (I'll cut it into little squares) and popcorn chicken.  Don't know if we'll stay up until midnight, but we will have had our share of party food!

Tell me about your New Year's Eve! Tweet me @: maria_mckenzie. Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a very Happy New Year!

9 comments:

Norma said...

I can make this in a crock pot? Great!

What about pasta dishes?

Maria McKenzie said...

Hi, Norma! I couldn't find my beef stew recipe, so I hope you like this one--it's one of my favorites:).

As for pasta dishes, I made a turkey tetrazini once, but I cooked the pasta and added it last.

I saw Jessica Seinfeld make a crock pot lasagna on Oprah, but I can't remember what she did. I think she started out with uncooked pasta, though. I'll see what I can find out!

The Happy Whisk said...

We have three days off at the same time so we've locked the doors, bolted the windows, and we're not coming out until Monday.

Love your blog, Maria. So glad to be a reader. Best of fun in the Writing New Year.

Old Kitty said...

Awww what a lovely way to spend New Year!! I'm currently in the throes of my celebrations but I am just sneaking in my blogging time - soon I shall be comatosed with my mulled ale and be most incoherent!! But not before I enjoy the fireworks!!!

Have a brilliant New Year!! Take care
x

The Words Crafter said...

That pepper steak looks delicious and now, I'm hungry!!!

I like your kind of evening. We're staying in and I'm not too sure what I'm cooking. Maybe chicken pie....

Happy New Years!!!

B.E.T. said...

Oooooh! I'll have to reccomend this to my dad, he's the cook in the family. Thanks for the recipe. :)

Maria McKenzie said...

@Happy Whisk: How wonderful to have three days off at the same time! Thanks for your kind words!Happy Writing in 2011 and have a wonderful New Year!

@Old Kitty: Sounds like you had quite a celebration last night! Hope the fireworks were spectacular! Have a great New Year!

@Words Crafter: Chicken pot pie sounds delicious! Happy New Year!

@B.E.T. You're welcome! Sure is nice to have a dad that cooks!

Anonymous said...

This is something my family would really enjoy. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Hanny said...

Mmm! That looks delicious! I didn't have Chinese, but I had Korean.