Monday, September 28, 2015

Goodbye to Yogi Berra


I am by no means a sports fan, but I knew Yogi Berra was a baseball legend and was sorry to hear that  he died last week. Although I was unaware of his many significant achievements in baseball, I was familiar with several of his Yogi-isms that always made me laugh.

If you are as ignorant about Yogi Berra's career as I was, here are some highlights, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Lawrence Peter "YogiBerra (May 12, 1925 – September 22, 2015) was an American professional baseball catcher,manager, and coach who played 19 seasons in Major League Baseball (MLB) (1946–63, 1965), all but the last for the New York Yankees. An 18-time All-Star and 10-time World Series champion as a player, Berra had a career batting average of .285, while compiling 358 home runs and 1,430 runs batted in. He is one of only five players to win theAmerican League Most Valuable Player Award three times. Widely regarded as one of the greatest catchers in baseball history,he was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1972.

And lastly some of my favorite Yogi-isms:

"It ain't over 'til it's over."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"I didn't really say everything I said."
"Baseball is 90 percent mental, the other half is physical."
"It's deja vu all over again
"If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be."
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"You can observe a lot by watching."
"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."
"We made too many wrong mistakes."
"You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you."

Do you have any additional Yogi-isms you'd like to add? Thanks for visiting and have a great week!

7 comments:

William Kendall said...

The future ain't what it used to be is my favourite. There'll never be another one like him.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I've heard many of those quotes, but never knew who said them. Thanks!

Maria McKenzie said...

@William: I love that one, too!

@Jennette: He has lots more!

Norma said...

Years ago, before Yogi met his wife and my mom met my dad, Mom was asked to go on a blind date--with Yogi.

I tell Collin if Mom had liked baseball, we wouldn't be here!

Maria McKenzie said...

Wow, Norma! What an amazingly cool story!! Good thing for you she didn't like baseball;).

shelly said...

Good story, Norma. Small world. Good post, Marie.

Maria McKenzie said...

Thanks, Shelly! Wasn't Norma's story wonderful;)?