Monday, March 7, 2016

California Tamale Pie

I love delicious food that's easy to prepare. That's why I love my crock pot so much! This dish is a winner in my family, so I hope you'll like it too.

This recipe is from Mabel Hoffman's Crockery Cookery. If there are four or more in your home, I strongly recommend doubling the recipe.  The first time I made it, I sampled some before dinner, but ended up eating nearly half--it's that good! Enjoy!

California Tamale Pie

3/4 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup milk
1 egg slightly beaten
1 lb lean ground beef
1 t chili powder
1/2 t ground cumin
1 t seasoned salt
1 (14 oz.) can chunky salsa
1 (16 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (2.25 oz.) can sliced ripe olives, drained
1 cup cheddar cheese

In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, milk and egg.  Stir in meat, chili powder, cumin, salt, salsa, corn and olives.  Pour mixture into slow cooker.  Cover and cook on HIGH 3 to 4 hours.  Sprinkle cheese over top; cover and cook another 5 minutes.  Makes 6-8 servings.

I'd never heard of tamale pie until I found this recipe.  Have you ever had it?  Thanks for visiting and have a great week!

Originally posted 8/20/12

4 comments:

Norma said...

I love your recipes, Maria. I'm a terrible cook--except with my crock pot!

Is there a way to make pasta in a crock pot without boiling it first? I'm looking for recipes that don't require any stovetop work first. (As I said, I'm a terrible cook!)

William Kendall said...

I'd give it a try.

shelly said...

I think I'm going to make this on Sunday along with my BBQ chicken.

Maria McKenzie said...

@Norma: So glad you like my recipes! I've seen lasagna for the crock pot but never tried it. I'm not sure if the pasta has to be boiled ahead of time or not.

@William: Hope you like it!

@Shelly: That sounds like a great menu!