Monday, February 12, 2018

John and Abigail Adams: A Great Love Story

It's almost Valentine's Day, so today I thought I' share a great love story from history that I found at Townandcountrymag.com. Click the link for more great love stories!




Abigail Smith married [John Adams] at age 20, gave birth to five children (including America's fifth president, John Quincy Adams), was [his] confidante, political advisor, and First Lady. And the more than 1,000 letters they wrote to each other offer a window into John and Abigail's mutual devotion and abiding friendship. 

It was more than revolutionary political ideals that kept them so united; they shared a trust and abiding tenderness. Abigail wrote: "There is a tye more binding than Humanity, and stronger than Friendship ... and by this chord I am not ashamed to say that I am bound, nor do I [believe] that you are wholly free from it." As for John, he wrote: "I want to hear you think, or see your Thoughts. The Conclusion of your Letter makes my Heart throb, more than a Cannonade would. You bid me burn your Letters. But I must forget you first."

So romantic! For a recreation of their great love story, check out William Daniels and Virginia Vestoff portraying them in the movie 1776 singing "Yours, Yours, Yours." The lyrics in the song were inspired by their letters.

"Yours, Yours, Yours"
Btw, will you be writing a love letter to your Valentine? Thanks for visiting and have a great week!

5 comments:

William Kendall said...

McCullough's book on John Adams covers both of them extensively too, and that was the basis for the miniseries with Paul Giamatti as Adams.

Maria McKenzie said...

I have never seen that miniseries, but I want to. I hear it was phenomenal! I know McCullough's book was extensively researched.

Norma said...

Something else I knew little about! Thank you, Maria!

Maria McKenzie said...

You're welcome, Norma! Glad to share:).

Unknown said...

I just viewed the John Adam's mini series for the second time....I first watched it when it was released in 2008...I strongly recommend it...