Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Happy Fourth of July!

Way back in the dark ages, 1972, to be exact, when the United States was getting ready celebrate its Bicentennial Anniversary in 1976, a movie was released celebrating our country's independence. That movie was the musical1776, and I LOVED it!

Never heard of it? Wikipedia says: 1776 is a 1972 American historical musical comedy drama film directed by Peter H. Hunt and written by Peter Stone, based on his book for the 1969 Broadway musical of the same name, with music and lyrics by Sherman Edwards. Set in Philadelphia in the summer of 1776, it is a fictionalized account of the events leading up to the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The film stars William DanielsHoward da SilvaDonald MaddenJohn CullumKen Howard and Blythe Danner.

Portions of dialogue and some lyrics were taken directly from the letters and memoirs of the actual participants of the Second Continental Congress. 

For a synopsis, click here.

I was in fifth grade when my mom took me to see it. It was educational as well as entertaining! I loved it so much, my dad took me to see it again. That was in the days before VCRs, so when it was gone from the theaters, it was gone. But I did buy the album! That was the closest thing to seeing the movie again and again. I never saw it on TV, but I never forgot about the exciting experience of seeing this part of our history brought to life on the screen!

Well, silly me. When my kids were in junior high and middle school, I found DVD of 1776 at the library. So cool! I thought they'd enjoy watching it.  After all, I was in middle school when I saw it, but I also loved history; my kids not so much. Needless to say, they fell asleep. My husband was so-so about it since he's not a fan of musicals, but I loved it just as much as I did when I was a little kid! 

If you enjoy musicals and love history, I highly recommend watching 1776! It'll be a great way to spend some of your July 4th weekend!

By the way, Happy Fourth of July! Have you seen 1776? Thanks for visiting and have a great week!

No comments: