Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cooking to Save Time (for Writing and Reading!)

"The first wealth is health." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fast healthy meals are a must for me, and right now I'm sitting in my kitchen gazing at some of my most treasured posessions: my crockpot, food processor, rice steamer, and electric can opener. Yes, I love food, but I don't want to spend hours in the kitchen cooking gourmet meals. There are too many other things I could be doing. And besides, less time in the kitchen, means more time to write and more time to read!

If a robber broke into my house, I'd probably say,"take anything but my crockpot!" I didn't realize the value of it until I became a mother. Dumping ingredients in and turning the knob to high or low is near miraculous in preparing meals that are healthy, tasty and quick, not to mention time saving!

Here's an easy comfort food recipe I'd like to share. Though it takes only minutes to prep, it tastes like you slaved all day over the stove. Hope you enjoy!

Really Easy Beef Stew

3lbs beef stew meat
1 10 oz. pack frozen mixed veggies
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 T Worcesterschire sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1.5 oz envelop beef stew seasoning

Combine all ingredients in crock pot, stir well. Cover and cook on low for 10 hours, or high for 5 hours. Serve over rice. Great with a salad on the side! Makes about 3 quarts.

No comments: