Monday, May 3, 2010

Reading on the Run

"Runners just do it--they run for the finish line even if someone else has reached it first." Author Unknown

Lots of people hate to workout, but the health benefits outweigh the temporary torture. Many complain that there just aren't hours in the day to fit in an exercise routine. And between household, job and family, that's understandable.

One way to fit in a workout is to do it early in the morning, or late in the evening. I'm a morning person, so I get up around 5:00 so I can squeeze in exercise before I get the kids up for school.

I enjoy running, but I don't run outside until the summer, when it's light by the time I start. So prior to that, I'm stuck on the treadmill.

Running outside is exhilarating, while running on a treadmill is just boring. You can watch TV or listen to music, but you can also read--yes, read while you run! The catch is, you have to read a large print book. With LP books, you won't lose your place while bouncing up and down.

You probably don't want to start buying them just for your workout, so use your local public library. Although the library may not have the newest selection of LP books available, you'll still have a chance to catch up on some great stories you might have missed. For instance, I'm reading Envy by Sandra Brown. She's one of my all time favorite romantic suspense writers!

Now, believe it or not, I actually look forward to getting on the treadmill! The only bad thing is, I'm so wrapped up in the story, it's hard to stop on time.

No comments: