Monday, June 21, 2010

Soups On!

I love soup! At the first sign of autumn crispness, I pull out my all my recipes. With air conditioning, hot, hearty soups are great all year long, although I'm not particularly inclined to make them in the summer.

Cold soups, however, are another story, and they're especially delicious with with a big salad or a tasty wrap. One of my favorites is Vichyssoise. It sounds difficult to prepare, just because of the name. Calling it cold potato soup seeems less intimidating. And to be honest, I've never made traditional Vichyssoise, so I can't really tell you how hard it is to make.

With me, simplicity is key! Miracle Vichyssoise is a recipe I found in the Raleigh News and Observer several years ago, when I lived in North Carolina. It's wonderful, not to mention easy and fast! But I'd suggest slimming it down by using skim milk instead of whole milk or half and half as the recipe calls for. Hope you like it!

Miracle Vichyssoise

1 T butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 (14.5 oz.) cans fat free chicken broth
2 (14.5 Oz.) cans sliced new potatoes, drained
1 cup milk or half and half (can use skim milk to cut calories)
1/2 t Worcestershire sauce
black pepper to taste
1/4 t salt (optional)

Melt buttter in a small skillet on medium heat. Add onion and raise heat to medium-high. Cook onion 4 minutes or until translucent, stirring occasionally and taking care not to brown.

Meanwhile, put drained potatoes and 1 can of broth into blender or food processor and puree until smooth. (If using a food processor, add only half can of broth to prevent overflow.)

Add onions and blend 45 seconds or so. Pour potato mixture into a large serving or storage bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Stir well. Chill before serving. Makes 8 1-cup servings.

Do you have a favorite cold soup?

Follow me on Twitter: @maria_mckenzie.

No comments: