Friday, September 24, 2010

Black Beans: Good for Your Heart

"You can cut your risk of heart attack by nearly 40% if you eat a three-ounce serving of black beans daily."  Reader's Digest

That's enough motivation for me to eat black beans at least once a week!  I have lots of black bean recipes, but the best I've ever tasted were at a Cuban restaurant inside the Miami airport. 

None of my recipes tasted quite like those, so I kept tinkering until I created something close.  These are great as a main dish over rice, or just as a side. 

Enjoy this simple and nutritious recipe!

Easy Black Beans

4 14 ounce cans black beans
4 t garlic powder
2 onions, chopped
2 cups carrots, chopped
1 t cayenne pepper
2 t chili powder
2 1/2 t cumin
2 1/2 t coriander
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
juice of two limes

Combine all ingredients in a large pot.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.  After one hour, turn heat to lowest setting and simmer one hour more.  Serve over rice, top with fresh tomatoes and hard boiled eggs, if desired.  Makes 8 servings.

Do you have a favorite black bean recipe?

Tweet me @: maria_mckenzie.  Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

But... it's black beans!

Maria McKenzie said...

Hey William/Martin,
But they're GOOD black beans:)!!