Monday, September 20, 2010

Making an Exit: Know When to End a Scene

"Why does it take a minute to say hello, and forever to say goodbye?"  Unknown

I'm doing some revisions on a novel I wrote many years ago, before I really knew what I was doing.  Now that I've worked with a wonderful writing teacher, read several books on the writing craft, attended lots of great workshops through OVRWA (http://www.ovrwa.com/), and belong to a critique group, I'm crining quite a bit as I read my rambling prose!

An important element I've learned is not to wear out your welcome.  When you've provided all the information necessary to move along the story--end the scene!  No need for superfluous conversation or action.  Whatever else is said or done, will only weaken what came prior to that point.  Pushing the narrative forward will keep the reader turning pages.

What's more effective?  You be the judge:

     Tom looked at the dead body, and then the blood on his hands.  "What have I done?" he said quietly.  After a few seconds, he picked up the phone and called the police.
     "911, emergency."
     Tom hesitated briefly. "I--I just killed someone."

     Tom looked at the dead body, and then the blood on his hands.  "What have I done?" he said quietly.  He picked up the phone and called the police.
     "911, emergency."
     Tom hesitated briefly.  "I--I just killed someone."
     After reporting the crime, he walked slowly to the bathroom.  It took a long time to clean off all the blood.  Then he strode back to the living room, sat down and waited, glancing at his watch wondering how long it would take for the cops to arrive. 

All we need to know is that Tom killed someone and then called the police.  Unless something significant happens while Tom's in the bathroom--like him saying, "I don't remember doing this!  I just woke up and found myself with bloody hands and a dead body on the floor!"--no one cares that he washed his hands, then sat down and waited, wondering zzzzz.....

Hope this has been a helpful tip.  Are there any scenes that you can trim today by making an earlier exit?

Thanks for stopping by!  Tweet me @: maria_mckenzie.

No comments: