Friday, November 19, 2010

Recipe Friday: Curried Groundnut Soup

"Man cannot live by bread alone; he must have peanut butter." James A. Garfield

Here's another fabulous sweet potato recipe, and today it's savory!  This is my favorite soup and stars the winning combination of sweet potatoes and peanut butter! If you've tried the African Chicken Stew posted here two weeks ago, you'll understand. This soup is a staple in our house during cold weather, and I make a batch every couple of weeks. 

Cutting and chopping aside, it's easy, and  pretty quick to prepare.  For a light dinner, I serve with a sandwich on the side.

I found this dish in Woman's Day Magazine several years ago. I served it a dinner party and people couldn't get enough; everyone wanted the recipe! It's a zesty, flavorful soup which originated in Africa, where peanuts are called groundnuts.  Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Curried Groundnut Soup

1 T vegetable oil
1 medium onion chopped (about 1  1/2 cups)
1 carrot grated (about 1/2 cut)
1 large sweet potato (about 3 cups)
3 cups water
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 t curry powder
1/8 to 1/4 cayenne pepper
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
2 T chopped peanuts (optional)

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion and carrot;saute until tender (about 3-5 minutes).  Add the sweet potato and water; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until sweet potato is soft. Stir in the condensed soup, peanut butter, curry, and cayenne.  Bring mixture to a boil.  Remove the pan from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.  Puree the soup in a blender in 2 batches (or use a handheld immersion blender), then return it to pan and reheat. Ladle into bowls and garnish with sour cream and chopped peanuts, if desired. Serves 6.

What's your favorite soup?

Tweet me @: maria_mckenzie.  Thanks for stopping by!

15 comments:

Joanna St. James said...

You are inspiring me to go all out for our Thanxgiving in France. i am easy to please chicken noodle soup pretty much makes me happy.

Donea Lee said...

Wow - this sounds great! Something very different, but I'd love to try it out. I love soups. I'm having a party this weekend and it's all about soups! One of my favorites is a spicer, not-so-thick beef stew that I do. Yum.... thanks for sharing! :)

Maria McKenzie said...

@Joanna: If you're easy to please, you'll love this!

@Donea Lee: I love beef stew! Hope you can make this recipe for your party, too!

Kittie Howard said...

Hub and I lived in Kenya for three years, have traveled the continent and have had this soup before...IT'S DELICIOUS! Thank you for sharing the recipe...can't wait to make it!

Have you read Alexander McCall Smith's series about Botswana? (The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency begins series...you don't have to read in order.) Well, pumpkin soup is very much a diet staple and is worked into his stories. This is my most favorite series ever...they're just pure karma!

Nas said...

I've been trying all the recipes you post, and they turn out good. Now to try this one..soups, everybody loves soup at my home. Thanks for great recipes.

Old Kitty said...

It's warming and hearty! Perfect for the winter! Thank you! Take care
x

Maria McKenzie said...

@Kittie: I'm glad you know how amazing it is! I Haven't read Smith's series about Botswana, but it sounds like something I'll enjoy:).

@Nas: I'm thrilled that you're trying my recipes! I think you and your family will enjoy this one a lot:).

@Old Kitty: It tastes even better after you've been out in the cold!

Lydia Kang said...

I have too many favorite soups! But I'd have to say that the Korean ones are my fave. That's my comfort food!
I wish I could do this one but we have peanut allergies at our house.
:(

Maria McKenzie said...

Peanut allergies, bummer:(! I've never had Korean cuisine. I'll have to look up some recipes. We love spicy food!

Carol Riggs said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Nice to meet you. And your soup sounds yummy. I like to make broccoli soup, myself! Creamy and yummy, oh boy!

Maria McKenzie said...

Hi, Carol! Thanks for the follow:). Broccoli soup is wonderful, but I've never made it from scratch.

William Kendall said...

President Garfield and I are in agreement.

Maria McKenzie said...

Peanut butter is the greatest snack in the world!

Katie Anderson said...

Thanks for following my blog Maria!
Great recipe, look forward to reading some more soon :)

Maria McKenzie said...

Hi, Katie! Thanks for the follow:).